Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend

3 posters

:: MMFE Zone :: Reviews

Go down

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend Empty Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend

Post by evil scientist Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:49 am

A review... Constructive criticism encouraged. Should be longer for one, it's only about 220 words.

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend Reckansi
Genre: Traditional Doom
Year: 2002
Country of origin: Finland

Tracklist:
1. "Burn In Hell!" – 8:52
2. "In The Rectory" – 13:10
3. "The Hour Of Death" – 11:48
4. "Sodoma Sunrise" – 13:29
5. "Doomsower" – 5:37
6. "Cirith Ungol" – 21:10
Total: 1:14:06

Traditional Doom is indeed the best way to describe this release. Heavy riffing, crushingly slow speed, dramatical vocals, song titles bordering on the edge of ridiculous stupidity. One of the best bandnames in metal history. For an "outsider" it might even sound like a parody... But it's not intended to be one. "In the Rectory..." is a shrine. Reverend Bizarre openly worship the element force of modern music: the unstoppable flow of heaviness.
And they are fuckin' good at it. "In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend" is basically a ritual. All stereotypes of doom have a place in this grotesque caleidoscope. Witches, the Bizarre Reverend himself... Opening song "Burn In Hell!" sets the pace with a monolithic riff and very powerful vocals. This track introduces the characteristic Bizarre sound: long, slow songs which evolve and evolve, making the hearer wonder why don't they crush under their own weight.
Maybe the best song follows, "In The Rectory". I really like the line "you're about to meet Reverend Bizarre". It just sounds so vile and mean, surrounded by a swirling chaos of riffs. The second half of the song is faster, but this too is executed in a great way.
The rest of the album follows in a similar manner. You won't get surprises. But you get an excellent Doom record. Join the Sabbath!!

92%

Your opinions?
evil scientist
evil scientist

Male Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://down-by-the-water.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend Empty Re: Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend

Post by Jester Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:45 am

Very nice review. A personal favorite of mine (as you probably know Very Happy)

I guess the only thing that you could improve on is talking alittle more about some of the other songs. Its fine as it is though. =]
Jester
Jester

Male Number of posts : 1136
Registration date : 2007-12-12

http://www.myspace.com/tehhippo

Back to top Go down

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend Empty Re: Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend

Post by evil scientist Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:38 am

After I pass my next exam (that's in three days), I'll expand this review.
evil scientist
evil scientist

Male Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-01-05

http://down-by-the-water.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jester Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 pm

Awesome...good luck on your exam, man
Jester
Jester

Male Number of posts : 1136

http://www.myspace.com/tehhippo

Back to top Go down

Post by Loke Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:00 am

Traditional Doom is indeed the best way to describe this release. Heavy riffing, crushingly slow speed, dramatic vocals, song titles bordering on the edge of ridiculous stupidity. And of course, One of the best band names in metal history. For an "outsider" it might even sound like a parody... But it's not intended to be one. "In the Rectory..." is a shrine. Reverend Bizarre openly worship the elemental force of modern music; the unstoppable flow of heaviness.
And they are fuckin' good at it. "In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend" is basically a ritual. All stereotypes of doom have a place in this grotesque kaleidoscope; witches, the Bizarre Reverend himself...
The opening song "Burn In Hell!" sets the pace with a monolithic riff and very powerful vocals. This track introduces the characteristic Bizarre sound: long, slow songs which evolve and evolve, making the listener wonder why don't they get crushed under their own weight.
Maybe the best song on the cd, "In The Rectory" follows, I really like the line "you're about to meet Reverend Bizarre". It just sounds so vile and mean, surrounded by a swirling chaos of riffs. The second half of the song is faster, but this too is executed in a great way.

The rest of the album follows in a similar manner. You won't get surprises. But you get an excellent Doom record. Join the Sabbath!!

I crave more detail.

Loke

Male Number of posts : 572

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: MMFE Zone :: Reviews

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum